[MPlayer-dev-eng] help output wording

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Oct 7 01:57:24 CEST 2002

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 07:50:03PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > -vcd <trackno>  play VCD (Video CD) track from device instead of plain file
> > -dvd <titleno>  play DVD title from device instead of plain file
> >
> > I'm not really content with the wording as it is.  The point is that
> > VCDs/DVDs need not be mounted, mplayer is not playing a mounted file but
> > accessing the raw device directly.  I have some alternative suggestions:
> >
> > -dvd <titleno>  directly play DVD title
> > -dvd <titleno>  directly play DVD title from device
> > -dvd <titleno>  directly play DVD title from raw (not mounted) device
> >
> > The first is probably an oversimplification, I like the third best.  VCD
>
> the 3rd is false. on some platforms you can only play mounted disc. on
> linux, you can play both mounted (using filesystem access, user priv. is
> enough for this) or raw device (user needs rw right for /dev/dvd).
> also, you can copy disc conrtent to hdd and play from the dir.

But wait, in the mounted case you would use a command like

  mplayer /somewhere/chapter1.vob

instead of

  mplayer -dvd 1

wouldn't you?  So the third version should be a correct description of
the option.

> this is all for dvd only, vcd never needs mounting and never work with
> mounted/copied content.

Is this OK then?

-vcd <trackno>  play VCD (Video CD) track from raw (not mounted) device

> > would be analogous of course.  Any better ideas?
> not yet
> but don't change, until we agree on sth

Of course.

Diego