[MPlayer-dev-eng] Playback speed - FFWD and slow-motion

Jonas Jermann jjermann at gmx.net
Tue Nov 19 18:14:04 CET 2002

Hi

I'm not a developer but I tried to implement ff/slow motion too
some time ago...

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 03:08:02PM +0800, Anders Johansson wrote:
> If I wrote an audio filter which could do change the amount of data in
> the audio stream by stuffing or removing samples (and fix with it so
> it sounds good), then if the sample rate was kept fix the playback of
> the sound would increase and decrease (the pitch would change too but
> that can't be helped). Question is if the A/V sync could keep up with
> the changes? Can it? If it can we could have fast forward and slow
> motion quite soon :)

Donno what you ment but it sounded like -speed option. The problem is
it is getting slower and slower for ff. I think it is because the
resampling to big values (donno?). IMHO it would be nice to somehow
mute/ignore the sound, increase playback speed with skipping
(not faster fps), unmute/activate and resync the sound again.
iirc it was +- what you proposed just with video. In this case
the problems are: muting/ignoring the sound and resync again.

> Another thing I have been thinking of: Could the playback direction be
> changed to play the movie in reverse?

I thought about this too (-speed -1 ;)) but afaik it's just
possible for keyframes without big hacks, donno....

Regards
    Jonas