[MPlayer-dev-eng] DVD navigation again

Kees Cook mplayer at outflux.net
Fri Mar 29 00:21:42 CET 2002

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 09:44:41PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> ok. some cosmetics removed and patch applied.
> i've dropped modification for old key handler , as it's obsoleted and your
> solution wasn't the best anyway.

Great, thank you.

> disable it. no way to solve now

Agreed.  I suspect that as I work on this way of doing DVD stuff, I might
want to pull the DVD virtual machine into the MPlayer source to take
advantage of MPlayer's caching, and lots of other stuff (like the SPU
playing).

> > Anyway, this uses Xine's dvdnav library:
> > http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-dvdnav.shtml
> ->WTFM

Pardon my ignorance, but "WTFM"?  As in "Write the ..."?  Did you want me
to write up some docs?

> no idea. what does that "highlighting" means exactly?
> increasing brigthness in a rectangular area of the mpeg video?
> or just draw some border (width=??, color=??) using OSD ?
> in later case - needs some addition to libvo/sub.c
> in prev, needs a postprocessing filter

It's the highlighting seen when moving between menu selections during menu
navigation.  I've been trying to read through the DVD specs and understand
if highlighting is actually some weird SPU stream, or if it is totally up
to the implementors of the navigation to perform the highlighting.

I possibly need to change the palette in a rect in an area of the mpeg
video.  On a menu highlight event, dvd nav sends:

typedef struct {
  int display; /* 0 - hide, 1 - show, entries below only guaranteed useful
                  if this is '1' */
  uint32_t palette;  /* The CLUT entries for the highlight palette
                        (4-bits per entry -> 4 entries) */
  uint16_t sx,sy,ex,ey; /* The start/end x,y positions */
  uint32_t pts;         /* Highlight PTS to match with SPU */
  uint32_t buttonN;     /* Button number for the SPU decoder. */
} dvdnav_highlight_event_t;

start/end is obvious to me.  The references to SPUs, though, make me think
there are SPUs I need to be displaying to do the highlighting.  I will
continue to research this.  The DVD structures are a pretty steep learning
curve.  ;)

--
Kees Cook                                            @outflux.net