[MPlayer-dev-eng] DVD navigation again

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Mar 29 00:55:43 CET 2002

Hi,

> > ->WTFM
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but "WTFM"?  As in "Write the ..."?  Did you want me
> to write up some docs?

not you
it was there for doc maintainer(s)

> > no idea. what does that "highlighting" means exactly?
> > increasing brigthness in a rectangular area of the mpeg video?
> > or just draw some border (width=??, color=??) using OSD ?
> > in later case - needs some addition to libvo/sub.c
> > in prev, needs a postprocessing filter
>
> It's the highlighting seen when moving between menu selections during menu
sorry, i've never seen dvd menus :)
i should try ogle, afaik it already supports them...

> navigation.  I've been trying to read through the DVD specs and understand
hmm, what specs do you have?
last time (week ago) when i talked about dvdnav with Guenter (xine author)
he said no specs available on dvd navigation for opensource developers.
the biggest problem with dvdnav is the still image detection. afaik it fails
to detect them all time and xine now uses some heuristics-hack to recognize
them in the mpeg decoder. i don't want to see such hack in mplayer code,
it was the main reason of refusing the dvdnav patch first time.
now i applied, but still don't know how to detect still images in stable,
compatible, clean way. i'm sure the official dvd spects explain the real
way.

> if highlighting is actually some weird SPU stream, or if it is totally up
> to the implementors of the navigation to perform the highlighting.
if it's spu, we could decode and display it (spudec.c)

> I possibly need to change the palette in a rect in an area of the mpeg
> video.  On a menu highlight event, dvd nav sends:
>
> typedef struct {
>   int display; /* 0 - hide, 1 - show, entries below only guaranteed useful
>                   if this is '1' */
>   uint32_t palette;  /* The CLUT entries for the highlight palette
>                         (4-bits per entry -> 4 entries) */
>   uint16_t sx,sy,ex,ey; /* The start/end x,y positions */
>   uint32_t pts;         /* Highlight PTS to match with SPU */
>   uint32_t buttonN;     /* Button number for the SPU decoder. */
> } dvdnav_highlight_event_t;

hmm. so we should hack spudec to handle these...

> start/end is obvious to me.  The references to SPUs, though, make me think
> there are SPUs I need to be displaying to do the highlighting.  I will
> continue to research this.  The DVD structures are a pretty steep learning
> curve.  ;)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team