[MPlayer-dev-eng] MacOS X Cocoa output device

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jun 26 03:08:47 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 19:36, Robert Quattlebaum wrote:
> A few weeks ago I purchased a PowerBook G4. I was delighted that at
> around the same time, MPlayer started to work on MacOS X.
>
> But using the SDL output device doesn't seem to be ideal... The higher
> resolution I go up the slower things get, and at lower resolutions
> things start looking rather bizarre.
yea, sdl out might be using it's ugly and slow software scaler which is
suboptimal (== it sucks ;).

> I was wondering if there was anyone who was actively working on making a
> native MacOS X cocoa output device. If not, I'd like to try writing one.
> If there is someone working on this, then I would like to help out. I
> own two MacOS Machines that can help out with testing and development --
> an iMac DV and a new PowerBook G4.
It would be great if you could contribute this!

> If there isn't anyone working on this output device, a few initial
> pointers on the interface would be helpful. I'm a mildly intelligent
> person so I can probably figure out most of the details after an initial
> push in the right direction. To be honest, I haven't looked at the
> source yet.
You should take a look at the drivers already present in the libvo/ dir and
start with a copy of vo_null.c and change it to your liking.

Also you should take a look at DOCS/tech/libvo.txt - it describes tech stuff
about the libvo api.

And of course you can ask here if you get stuck!

--
Best Regards,
        Atmos