[MPlayer-dev-eng] RPM package - features

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Apr 29 16:59:34 CEST 2002

Hi,

> >   Enabled optional drivers:
> >     Input: network tv-v4l tv mpdvdkit vcd
> >     Codecs: libavcodec directshow win32 libvorbis
> >     Audio output: oss sdl
> >     Video output: xvidix sdl vesa jpeg png mpegpes(file) fbdev xmga mga dg
> a xv x11 tdfxfb
>
> Personally, I'd disable sdl, jpeg and png to limit dependencies,
> but Arpi wants SDL, and that requires esound and arts.

you don't have to add arts/esd/etc dependency to mplayer!
it's the job of sdl package maintainer.

sdl is recommended, as being the only way to use mplayer with arts/esd, to
use with buggy oss drivers, and with some buggy Xv/DGA video drivers.
also note that native fullscreen switching in mplayer ius buggy with kde and
soem other window managers, sdl works fine...

i personally don't like sdl, but i see from users lisrt that ~50% of users
use it instead of native drivers

png and jpeg can be left out.

what are your plans with vidix drivers and libs?

about mga_vid.o, you should left it out, and maybe provide a rpms package, as
it must be build for the given kernel of user.
but keep the -vo mga/xmga support in mplayer!

> Also, I made some OSD font packages, i.e. mplayer-font-iso1,iso2,koi8r,
> all of which provide mplayer-font and mplayer requires mplayer-font.
ok

> That way one can install whatever font is desired or even all of them,
> but the last font installed will be the default (switching to another
> is a matter of pointing the /usr/share/mplayer/font symlink to another
> directory).
> The font packages are independent of mplayer and can be maintained
> separately.
>
> One more thing: should GUI be enabled by default? Or maybe I should
nope
it is not stable/usable yet

> prepare two versions, one with and one without GUI?
yes, maybe
but note that gui is still experimental, and has many known but not fixed
bugs and many not known one

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team