[MPlayer-dev-eng] RPM package - features

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Mon Apr 29 17:10:29 CEST 2002

On Monday, 29 April 2002, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > >   Enabled optional drivers:
> > >     Input: network tv-v4l tv mpdvdkit vcd
> > >     Codecs: libavcodec directshow win32 libvorbis
> > >     Audio output: oss sdl
> > >     Video output: xvidix sdl vesa jpeg png mpegpes(file) fbdev xmga
> > > mga dga xv x11 tdfxfb
> >
> > Personally, I'd disable sdl, jpeg and png to limit dependencies,
> > but Arpi wants SDL, and that requires esound and arts.
>
> you don't have to add arts/esd/etc dependency to mplayer!
> it's the job of sdl package maintainer.

I know and I wouldn't do it manually. However, RPM does it for me
automatically.

> sdl is recommended, as being the only way to use mplayer with arts/esd,
> to use with buggy oss drivers, and with some buggy Xv/DGA video drivers.
> also note that native fullscreen switching in mplayer ius buggy with kde
> and soem other window managers, sdl works fine...
>
> i personally don't like sdl, but i see from users lisrt that ~50% of users
> use it instead of native drivers

OK, SDL stays.

> png and jpeg can be left out.

OK.

> what are your plans with vidix drivers and libs?

I'd include them and rebuilding source package on any x86 will build them
too. However, it might be a good idea to put them in a separate package.

> about mga_vid.o, you should left it out, and maybe provide a rpms package,
> as it must be build for the given kernel of user.

Yes, a source rpm would be the best solution.

> but keep the -vo mga/xmga support in mplayer!

Exactly.

> > One more thing: should GUI be enabled by default? Or maybe I should
> nope
> it is not stable/usable yet

That's what I thought.

> > prepare two versions, one with and one without GUI?
> yes, maybe
> but note that gui is still experimental, and has many known but not fixed
> bugs and many not known one

I'll think about it, then.

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann(at)rangers.eu.org>