[Mplayer-dev-eng] Hardware MPEG1/2 Decoding cards

Jean-Francois Perreault cmcpero at megacom.net
Sun Sep 16 18:11:07 CEST 2001

Hi,

I've been following this list for a while now and I don't recall of anyone
mentionning
hardware video decoding cards

I have a Realmagic Hollywood+  card based on the EM8300 decoder chip
there is a driver for this card and even a lib (libdxr3) that you can find
at http://dxr3.sourceforge.net/
this card support monitor overlay , direct S-Video output and as a digital
AC3 5.1 output
really useful for watching video on a standard TV while working

I think it is possible to use this card's TV out to output any kind of
video ( I played VCDs on it with Xine)
the new EM8470 chip can hardware decode Mpeg 4 and is supported on linux by
Sigma Designs http://www.sigmadesigns.com

btw desktop overlay mode (like Divx Network's The Playa) would be really
nice to have on Xv