[MPlayer-dev-eng] Ugly i18n mecanism !

Yves Dessertine yves.d at hrnet.fr
Tue Oct 9 17:20:00 CEST 2001

Hi.

I find the i18n mecanism of mplayer isn't so good. I would suggest the use of
gettext (http://www.gnu.org/manual/gettext/html_mono/gettext.html) to
translate this program. Gettext's PO files are much better than theese
translations in include files. PO files are easely translatable with a PO
editor such as KBabel (screenshots at
http://i18n.kde.org/tools/kbabel/screenshots.html) or, if you want to
translate without any kde stuff, the syntax of PO files is very, very simple.
POT (untranslated POs) are automatically created by gcc.

It has a lot of advantages. The biggest is, in case of update, the new POT
can be easely merged with an existing PO, so we only need to translate new or
modified strings.

--
Yves Dessertine
yves.d at hrnet.fr