[Mplayer-dev-eng] MPlayer on IRIX ... (fwd)

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun May 13 19:14:29 CEST 2001

Hi,

> >I am currently trying to port your MPLayer to the IRIX architecture to be
> >able to play Mpeg2 there -
> >seems like no one has tried _that_ before ;) ...
> >

> Arpi said not long ago (quote):
>
> >> Does mplayer run on non Intel architectures (at least with code which not required win32.dll)?
> >No. And it wasn't planned to be portable. I think that mpg12player should be
> >ported if someone interested. it's the parent of mplayer, and supports mpeg
> >1/2 playback only.
>
> Maybe you'll want to port mpg12player which especially was declared as portable opposite to mplayer?

mpg12play is _much_ simpler than mplayer, it's just a simple short C prog
to call libmpeg2 and others.

I think than mplayer is too complex for the beginning. maybe experiments
porting mpg12play can be used for mplayer to make it portable.

i think, we first have to make vcd/dvd stuff, win32 stuff and other linux or
x86 specific stuff #ifdef-ed, so porting work can be started.
(i mean FreeBSD and other x86 ports first, it's partialy done)

porting to MIPS (IRIX) is much harder, because it uses reverse byte
ordering. streaming/demuxer code isn't prepared for reverse byteorder.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu