[Mplayer-dev-eng] release name + 1 link

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Tue May 8 12:44:45 CEST 2001

Hello!

On Mon, 7 May 2001 13:58:54 +0200, Felix Buenemann wrote:

>> About crashes on SMP P3, SSE and so on:
>> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-05-03-007-20-NW-KN
>>
>> As I see linux-2.2.x can not be used with SSE applications at least if such
>> aen pplication exist in memory more than one at the same time.
>>
>Hmm when I understood that link correct it was only about SSE2 which are
>available on PIV only and about the fact that 2.4 kernel is slower then 2.2
>cause it supports that stuff correctly. So 2.4 is slower on PIII cause it has
>supplementary code to support SSE2 but I didn't see that there was written
>about probs with SSE1 on 2.2 kernel.
IMHO it's misspelling. In general SSE2 of P4 is differ from SSE1 of P3 from program
point only by 144 new opcodes, cache architecture and by little extensions for
multiprocessor support. There are no new registers to be saved. And probably there
are no new environment to be saved.
#The signal handling one is because 2.4.x will save off the full SSE2
#state, which means that the signal stack is almost 700 bytes, as
#compared to <200 before
but it you'll compute size of required environment for P3 (SSE1) you'll get over 200 bytes
only for register of application level (XMMX+MMX+ERX).
I've tell it to stop any disputs about usage Linux-2.2.x on P3.

Best regards! Nick