[Mplayer-dev-eng] projectmayo's divx codec...

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Wed Jul 18 23:09:14 CEST 2001

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 05:58:43AM -0700, Eugene Kuznetsov wrote:
> > I (and also Eugene) hope that it will change to LGPL soon, and they
> > will release sources.
>
> I did what I could to convince people here to make today's release of
> decoder under LGPL, but I'm not the one who makes all decisions. Our
> strategists think that decoder is a potential source of revenue for the
> company, in which case it's safer not to have sources in public. It
> prevents our competitors ( ffmpeg guys for example ;-), or 3ivx )
> from stealing our code and putting it into their closed-source projects.

They CAN'T DO THAT! If you release source under GPL (LGPL is little different
I don't know the correct situation for LGPL), everybody wants to use your
code, or a part of it, must release their code under GPL too! SO they
can't build closed source products using GPL code as well ... In this case
thay would break GPL, and you can prosecute them :)

- Gabor

--
 --[ Gábor Lénárt ]---[ Vivendi Telecom Hungary ]---------[ lgb at lgb.hu ]--
 U have 8 bit comp or chip of them and it's unused or to be sold? Call me!