[Mplayer-dev-eng] projectmayo's divx codec...

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Jul 18 22:57:05 CEST 2001

Hi,

>       I noticed the discussion here about our new codec and want to
> clarify a few things.
Welcome on this list :)

> > And _maybe_ they used some optimizing compiler for
> > compiling (Intel's or visual c), not gcc...
>
> This is not correct, libraries I sent to Arpi were built using
> ordinary gcc 2.95.2. My experience with pgcc and Intel C compiler
> for Linux is too disappointing.
I've found Intel's compiler very good, for C-only soucres. It helped
about 15-20% for libmpeg2 and opendivx decore, and even for ffmpeg.
I think it does P3 pipeline optimization much better than gcc.

> > They can't (or don't want?) release source, only in binary form.
> > They said that it's because of licensing problem, divx 3.11 decoding
> > is illegal this way, and maybe they are using some code or tables from
> > the win32 DLL...
> > I (and also Eugene) hope that it will change to LGPL soon, and they
> > will release sources.
>
> I did what I could to convince people here to make today's release of
> decoder under LGPL, but I'm not the one who makes all decisions. Our
> strategists think that decoder is a potential source of revenue for the
> company, in which case it's safer not to have sources in public. It
> prevents our competitors ( ffmpeg guys for example ;-), or 3ivx )
> from stealing our code and putting it into their closed-source projects.
They can still steal code, if they ever heard about disassemblers :)
(What about BIEW? :)))

> This position is unlikely to change. Encoder is closed too. You will
> see a thorough explanation of this accompanying the official release.
Hmm. Then use some special license, like opendivx's one, which doesn't
allow using this code in commercial closed-souurce stuff.
Or simply release it as GPL.

I want to change things inside the codec, and also trying to improve it
and/or mix with some other code. I like opensource for this.
I like to modify things to fit our needs. Just check mplayer, every
library used there (for example libmpeg2, opendivx decore :) and ffmpeg)
are modified a bit. For example, I've modified libmpeg2 to use opendivx's
postprocessing code :)  It helps a lot for low-bitrate mpeg1 files.

> > Btw it's quite buggy, crashes playing files encoded with opendivx 0.47, and
> > crashes for everything if postprocessing is enabled.
>
> Windows version is quite stable. Linux port is not tested enough well,
> we are working on it.
Is the windows version already released? Maybe we can try it with your win32
loader...

> > The encoder engine is based on Eugene's "Sparky" codec
>
> Just for the record, this is absolutely not true, it is even written
> in different language ( but since you probably won't ever see the source,
> it does not matter :-) ).
Hmm. I've read at opendivx-devel list that new-wave encore2 is based on teh
Sparky codec. If I remember well, you wrote that mail :)
Btw it was strange, because sparky has been written in C++ :(

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu