[Mplayer-dev-eng] plans ?

Felix Bьnemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 11 12:15:36 CEST 2001

Hello Nick,

NK> Hi, Felix Bьnemann!

>>NK> Yes, since Arpi have added libavcodec - release should be
>>NK> delayed. I plan to add some optimizations to new stuff.
>>NK> They should be tested. I guess that 0.18-pre.5 must
>>NK> have enabled ffmepg-divx codec by default for better
>>NK> testing.
>>good idea, but imo we'll get loads of mails from users complaining
>>bout mplayer being slower (cause they don't neccessarily get it's new
>>codec).
>>
NK> Are you sure? I've found that new codec is much faster of M$.
NK> With M$ stuffs mplayer lose frames on my HW but with new codec
NK> I have 0 frames lost (according to mplayer indicators per 2000 frames).
NK> So this question is very disputable.
NK> Yes, there were reports that new stuffs is slower on P1-MMX but I already
NK> have done some optimization which speedups mplayer on 8-9% on my CPU.
NK> And there is possibility to speedup decoding more.
NK> But Gerald Lantau prefers "C" optimization against MMX. So I can wait
NK> while such optimization will be developed before I start to code MMX routines.
NK> Anyway this question should be discussed.
hmm yesterday I checked and ffdivx was indeed faster, but I'll have to
check that with more highres/higher bps files first. And you should
also care that ffdivx might get LGPL according to Gerald's mail
forwarded by Arpi, so it's not even for sure we'll keep it (or get his
latest code, as current code is GPL we can go on with that code after
license is changed...)
Btw. codec not dropping frame is on your system more likely to be due
to YV12 format, as your video card is quite slow and not your CPU, so
decreased bandwidth for the graphics card makes up less dropped frames
(or am I wrong?).

--
Best regards,
 Felix                            mailto:atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net