[Mplayer-dev-eng] plans ?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Jul 11 20:29:04 CEST 2001

Hi,

> hmm yesterday I checked and ffdivx was indeed faster, but I'll have to
> check that with more highres/higher bps files first. And you should
i'm interested in the results.

> also care that ffdivx might get LGPL according to Gerald's mail
> forwarded by Arpi, so it's not even for sure we'll keep it (or get his
> latest code, as current code is GPL we can go on with that code after
> license is changed...)
yes, it will be surely change, to LGPL or something else special.
btw currently it's GPL, so we can fork, and continue developing/optimizing
current GPL version, independent from possible new LPGL/??? ffmpeg.

btw projectmayo guys will release their closed-source divx and opendivx
codec for linux, in library form. i've got a beta, but can't test it now :(
(yes, they have divx 3.11 compatible codec too, but it was secret until
today)

btw i still prefer ffmpeg stuff, than projectmayos closedsource stuff.

> Btw. codec not dropping frame is on your system more likely to be due
> to YV12 format, as your video card is quite slow and not your CPU, so
agree.

> decreased bandwidth for the graphics card makes up less dropped frames
> (or am I wrong?).
no. you're right.

YV12 will help for most users with bandwith problems (amd users).
it transfers 12 bit for each pixels, instad of 16 bits/pixel of YUY2.
and teh codec don't have to convert YV12->YUY2 internally.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu