[Mplayer-dev-eng] plans ?

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Wed Jul 11 15:40:19 CEST 2001

Hi, Felix Bьnemann!

On 2001-07-10 23:40:27 you wrote:

>>>What are the plans for the 0.18 release ?
>>>I thought it was to have it out as soon as possible.
>>>But at the moment it looks like more and more new features get in.
>>>An example is the ffmpeg divx codec. I like it very much but
>>>I would have waited for the next release.
>>>
>NK> Yes, since Arpi have added libavcodec - release should be
>NK> delayed. I plan to add some optimizations to new stuff.
>NK> They should be tested. I guess that 0.18-pre.5 must
>NK> have enabled ffmepg-divx codec by default for better
>NK> testing.
>good idea, but imo we'll get loads of mails from users complaining
>bout mplayer being slower (cause they don't neccessarily get it's new
>codec).

Are you sure? I've found that new codec is much faster of M$.
With M$ stuffs mplayer lose frames on my HW but with new codec
I have 0 frames lost (according to mplayer indicators per 2000 frames).
So this question is very disputable.
Yes, there were reports that new stuffs is slower on P1-MMX but I already
have done some optimization which speedups mplayer on 8-9% on my CPU.
And there is possibility to speedup decoding more.
But Gerald Lantau prefers "C" optimization against MMX. So I can wait
while such optimization will be developed before I start to code MMX routines.
Anyway this question should be discussed.

Best regards! Nick (2001-07-11 13:30:22)