[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: VP3 & Mplayer

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Wed Dec 26 17:50:16 CET 2001

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Arpi wrote:

> really we want to see native linux version of your codec - instead of win32
> loader hack. do you plan it? i've seen a few linux-related files in the
> source, but it looks very unfinished and unmaintained :(

	I've invested a little time ferreting through the VP3 source code
as I'm convinced it should be possible to take a few files and adapt them
to the MPlayer source tree. Remember when I said that the VP3 source
couldn't possibly be as much of a mess as MPlayer? Well, I'm beginning to
think that they're on equal footing...:) VP3 source is the type that
uses a lot of its own custom jargon that you have to cut through (just
remember that cx/dx => compress/decompress).

	That said, I believe there's much to be gleaned from the VP3
source, such as a working reference implementation of a Quicktime plugin.
That may prove to be very educational.
--
	-Mike Melanson