[MPlayer-dev-eng] Article

Hetz Ben Hamo hetz at kde.org
Tue Dec 18 14:29:58 CET 2001

The statement was against Redhat releasing GCC 2.96 which was not an official
GCC release, and lots of people (using RH 7.0 back then) did have a problem...

Of course - time passed and Mandrake now uses this GCC as well as Redhat
themselves, the problems that have been appeared before has been fixed (I
know because I compile a LOT daily! X, KDE, QT, kernel, wine, and sometimes -
the gcc itself) and I didn't have a single problem for a long time now (I'm
using RH 7.2)

I think that the GCC stupid thing in configure (and check of gcc version)
SHOULD be removed. We all understood that point back then but it's over now,
mplayer works perfectly with GCC 2.96 on both Mandrake and Redhat 7.X

The other thing about not letting people distribute binaries is a stupid
thing IMHO, but of course - it's the developers code, and thats their totally
right to do so (of course - other project will simply copy the code and
people won't need mplayer by then - but thats another issue).

Hetz