[MPlayer-dev-eng] Article

daniel carter hedonist at win.co.nz
Tue Dec 18 15:15:23 CET 2001

Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> The other thing about not letting people distribute binaries is a stupid
> thing IMHO, but of course - it's the developers code, and thats their totally
> right to do so (of course - other project will simply copy the code and
> people won't need mplayer by then - but thats another issue).

I don't think it's got much to do with the mplayer developers, most of the
mplayer code is GPL.  But some of the libraries mplayer uses have licenses that
conflict, the net result of which is, distributing a binary version of mplayer is
in voilation of the licenses of the code involved.  I mean it's not like the
mplayer guys just woke one day and decided, stupid lame users... they shouldn't
be allowed to use mplayer unless they can compile it first.

And what's this doing on the dev list?