[MPlayer-cygwin] Cygwin port won't play on other PC

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Tue Jul 27 16:39:56 CEST 2004

> Do you mean that you had two concurrent versions of my package
> installed, and one or both of them died?  Can you explain
> again from the beginning and give the complete story?  I think
> that if this is a problem with my packages, I would like to
> find and fix it ASAP.  I'm planning a new release soon.

Sorry for any confusion.

This is the sequence:

1. I first installed the package in c:\userdata\hchhaya\cygmplayer
(the mingw version was in c:\userdata\hchhaya\mplayer). This was
on a PC where the Cygwin version had never been installed.
I couldn't get the player to work at all. It had worked from the
same location on another PC.

2. I don't remember if I unsintalled the player (via the uninstall.exe
app) or just deleted the folder.

3. I installed the player in a different directory (c:\tmp\mplayer\)
and it worked.

4. On a third PC, it didn't work in c:\tmp\mplayer either. On my next
re-install, I mistakenly chose c:\tmp instead of c:\tmp\mplayer in the
installer so all the files were copied to c:\tmp. It worked from this
location just fine.

This was very odd and I tried to figure out the cause. I checked
if the PCs were different in any way. Couldn't find anything
that was obvious (service packs, updates etc). Since we were really
focussed on getting things to work, we worked around this behavior
by putting mplayer where it was happy.

I still have no clue why certain locations worked and others
didn't. I didn't look hard enough but I looked for a way to increase
the verbosity so that I could find out where mplayer died. I couldn't
find a way (-verbose 1 or higher didn't work).

I doubt that there is something wrong with your patches and your
packages but it would help if I could enable some status messages
as mplayer was doing its job.

Thanks again for your port.

- Harshal