[MPlayer-cygwin] Cygwin port won't play on other PC

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Wed Jul 28 13:30:07 CEST 2004

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:39:56AM -0500, Chhaya, Harshal wrote:
> > Do you mean that you had two concurrent versions of my package
> > installed, and one or both of them died?  Can you explain
> > again from the beginning and give the complete story?  I think
> > that if this is a problem with my packages, I would like to
> > find and fix it ASAP.  I'm planning a new release soon.
>
> Sorry for any confusion.
>
> This is the sequence:
>
> 1. I first installed the package in c:\userdata\hchhaya\cygmplayer
> (the mingw version was in c:\userdata\hchhaya\mplayer). This was
> on a PC where the Cygwin version had never been installed.
> I couldn't get the player to work at all. It had worked from the
> same location on another PC.

Are you talking about a mingw package or the cygwin packages at
http://armory.nicewarrior.org/projects/cygmp/ ?

> 2. I don't remember if I unsintalled the player (via the uninstall.exe
> app) or just deleted the folder.
>
> 3. I installed the player in a different directory (c:\tmp\mplayer\)
> and it worked.
>
> 4. On a third PC, it didn't work in c:\tmp\mplayer either. On my next
> re-install, I mistakenly chose c:\tmp instead of c:\tmp\mplayer in the
> installer so all the files were copied to c:\tmp. It worked from this
> location just fine.
>
> This was very odd and I tried to figure out the cause. I checked
> if the PCs were different in any way. Couldn't find anything
> that was obvious (service packs, updates etc). Since we were really
> focussed on getting things to work, we worked around this behavior
> by putting mplayer where it was happy.
>
> I still have no clue why certain locations worked and others
> didn't. I didn't look hard enough but I looked for a way to increase
> the verbosity so that I could find out where mplayer died. I couldn't
> find a way (-verbose 1 or higher didn't work).

-v is the name of it.
And for my packages, if you use the file associations (recommended) then
you may right-click the file and select "open and log" to write a
verbose log file to $installdir/log.txt.  If you need this function from
commandline, run "mplayer -dumplog -v" ...
This is an option/feature I added into my packages.  I'm still confused
as to which package you use (mine or some more official mingw release.)

> I doubt that there is something wrong with your patches and your
> packages but it would help if I could enable some status messages
> as mplayer was doing its job.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

--Joey

--