[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: Help! New user, no picture...

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Wed Aug 18 21:16:29 CEST 2004

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 08:20:36AM +0100, Antony Baxter wrote:
> Ah! That seems to work fine now. Thanks! Quite high
> CPU usage though...
> ~90% on a P4 2.6 to play an MPEG movie. Is that
> normal?

Maybe your drivers are faking hardware support for certain overlays.
My card does this, and the result is this:

MPlayer does no conversion, decodes YV12 to the vo module.
Your drivers convert in software and do it very slowly.
You see lots of CPU time wasted.

If you use -vf noformat=yv12 then YV12 is disallowed and converted
by MPlayer (much more efficiently) to another format that truly is
supported by your hardware.  CPU usage drops from 90% to 42% on my
system.

--Joey

--
All philosophy is naïve.