[MPlayer-cygwin] builds but thinks avi file has errors

Roger H. Levy rhlevy at bell-labs.com
Fri Dec 13 18:02:25 CET 2002

My apology if my questions have already been discussed.  I have only
used mplayer for 3 days and have tried to build the CygWin port only
yesterday.

I built the 0.90rc1 system successfully on RedHat 8.0 Linux but we have
a particular requirement to run mplayer on a Windows system.  I found
the brief instructions for building under CygWin but I had to deviate
from the procedure slightly:

1. Some typedefs in inttypes.h were semantically the same but
syntactically different from those in sys/types.h and that caused make
to fail.  I changed the syntax of the inttypes.h typedefs to match those
of sys/types.h.

2. I found that in order to get directx support (i.e. -vo directx), I
needed to supply the option --enable-directx to configure.

I used the latest version of CygWin tools and built on both an IBM T23
laptop (1000MHz P3) and an Athlon 1200MHz system under Windows 2000.
The builds were clean but in both cases when I tried to play an .avi
file that I encoded with my Linux system, there were many messages
indicating corruption in the media stream.  As a result, the video was
badly broken and sometimes black.  The same stream plays perfectly on
the Linux system that I built and the Linux system is only using a
500MHz K6 CPU.  Also, on the Athlon system the display was full screen
rather than QVGA as encoded.

I'm hoping that I can find out how to fix this problem ASAP because I
need to show something to my boss.

Roger Levy