[MPlayer-cygwin] builds but thinks avi file has errors

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Dec 13 19:17:31 CET 2002

Roger H. Levy writes:
 > I built the 0.90rc1 system successfully on RedHat 8.0 Linux but we have
 > a particular requirement to run mplayer on a Windows system.  I found
 > the brief instructions for building under CygWin but I had to deviate
 > from the procedure slightly:

Do you mean these instructions?

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/#cygwin

 > 1. Some typedefs in inttypes.h were semantically the same but
 > syntactically different from those in sys/types.h and that caused make
 > to fail.  I changed the syntax of the inttypes.h typedefs to match those
 > of sys/types.h.

Copying or symlinking etc/cygwin_inttypes.h to /usr/include/inttypes.h
did not suffice?

 > 2. I found that in order to get directx support (i.e. -vo directx), I
 > needed to supply the option --enable-directx to configure.

Did configure not detect this automatically after installing the
DirectX headers?  Where did you install them?

 > I used the latest version of CygWin tools and built on both an IBM T23
 > laptop (1000MHz P3) and an Athlon 1200MHz system under Windows 2000.
 > The builds were clean but in both cases when I tried to play an .avi
 > file that I encoded with my Linux system, there were many messages
 > indicating corruption in the media stream.  As a result, the video was
 > badly broken and sometimes black.  The same stream plays perfectly on
 > the Linux system that I built and the Linux system is only using a
 > 500MHz K6 CPU.  Also, on the Athlon system the display was full screen
 > rather than QVGA as encoded.

Does -vo directx:noaccel cure these problems?

All of this is in the docs, though..  Can you provide some more
information about what you did and what went wrong?  Configure and
mplayer -v output would be useful.  We need to see the messages you
are talking about.

 > I'm hoping that I can find out how to fix this problem ASAP because I
 > need to show something to my boss.

The Cygwin port currently runs best under Windows 98 because that is
what Sascha Sommer the main developer uses.  I have some problems with
A/V sync under W2K, it's far from perfect at the moment.  If your boss
wants to see some quick results under W2K, donate a W2K license to
Sascha Sommer

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/donations.html

Since he won't install a pirated OS he cannot improve W2K support
without a license.  Surely a W2K license is not too expensive for Bell
labs, is it? ;-)  Seriously, this will help development a lot.
Thanks

Diego