[MEncoder-users] DVD rip (to avi) using mencoder and I want allways to get Swedish subText

Miroslav Rovis miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr
Tue Jan 31 20:49:59 EET 2017

On 170113-18:11+1100, Bill Crockett wrote:
> [...]
Yes it is. And I'll be missing it if it were to be extinguished... Really!

> I was told in this mailing list in 2011 that it is no longer maintained, and
> had not been for several years.  I did see this repeated a few times by a
> programming team member in a few posts from 2011 onwards.

And I remember that there was a fix for what I used mencoder for
sometime around 2013 or 2014.

I do use FFmpeg for sometimes hours daily of videos that I record, sure.

Bu what I use Mencoder for, I don't think it can be easily done so well
with some other program. Also because it's for recording on yesterday's
hardware that I use it for... But which still works! This hardware:

Hauppauge HVR3000, and I connect the set top box of InternetTV where I
attach SCART to this machine where I attach cinch into, and with this
profile in

~/.mplayer/mencoder.conf :

[mpeg4_capt_HaupP]
profile-desc="mpeg4 capture"
tv=input=1:driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:normid=3:input=1:alsa=1:adevice=hw.1,0:audiorate=48000:amode=1:width=768:height=576
ovc=lavc=1
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect=1:vqscale=4:vb_strategy=1:vmax_b_frames=2:mbd=0:turbo=1
vf=softskip,harddup
mc=0
noskip=1
oac=mp3lame=1

I still get fine recording (well... fine... it's so ...obsolete now... but
I do get it) with this command:

$ mencoder tv:// -profile mpeg4_capt_HaupP -o Compo_`date +H%m%d_%H%M`.avi

And about the fix in around 2013 or 2014. Previously it wasn't synced.
It drove people crazy trying, but there was only one way to do it:

You could only get audio and video in sync if you kill -9 on the running
mencoder...

In 2013 or 2014 that was fixed, and mencoder began, while running
normally, to produce synced AV recordings That I do remember.

I don't think the mpv, the MPlayer fork, has the capability to replace
this functionality that I use, does it? (Not that I need it, if it
continues to work... Just curious.)

Regards!
--
Miroslav Rovis