[MEncoder-users] With time honoured always working alsa settings no more audio with mencoder...

Miroslav Rovis m.rovis at inet.hr
Sat Nov 10 23:38:12 CET 2012

The issue has been solved:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2012-November/015243.html

Thanks for patience everybody!

Miroslav Rovis

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mencoder-users/2012-November/013228.html

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2009-December/subject.html

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2009-December/078442.html

> Somewhere there, or later, or even earlier, and thanks to help
> from Reimar Döffinger and others, I was able to, after days of
> testing, get mencoder to fabulously :-) capture on Composite (be it
> S-video or to Composite through adapters, or plain Composite, from,
> usually either from S-video, Composite, or Scart inputs, so we're
> talking old equipment, still just good for old footage of any
> kind)...
>
> But I was saying, thanks to help from Mencoder crew, I was able to
> capture with mencoder on Composite input of my now old Hauppauge
> HVR-3000 PCI card, both video and audio, and it was the sync that
> was the hurdle par excellance, like no other, bothered people later
> on as well...
>
> The code that I still use, and is based on those findings, or
> maybe later improvements, who can tell, and I'm not rummiging into
> all the archives now, has stopped capturing from line-in, for
> short.
>
> These are the relevant profiles in ~miro/.mplayer/mencoder.conf
>

> [mpeg4_capt] profile-desc="mpeg4 capture"

tv=input=1:driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:normid=3:input=1:alsa=1:adevice=hw.0,2:audiorate=48000:amode=1:width=768:height=576
> ovc=lavc=1 #nosound=1

lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect=1:vqscale=4:vb_strategy=1:vmax_b_frames=2:mbd=0:turbo=1
> vf=softskip,harddup mc=0
>
> [mpeg4_capt_MP3] profile=mpeg4_capt_MP3 oac=mp3lame=1
> lameopts=cbr=1:preset=standard
>
> I don't remember now why I needed to make two profiles, I remember
> that just worked for all this time... with the commend (or a
> previous variant of the following command):
>
> mencoder tv:// -profile mpeg4_capt_noAu  -o Compo_`date
> +C%m%d_%H%M`.avi
>
> I use C insted of 12 for year 2012 (because I'll be using one
> digit instead of one in  tens of thousands of instances, this way),
> so the
part:

> `date +C%m%d_%H%M` (those are the socalled backticks at beginning
> and end; I always like providing extra explanations for possible
> newbies to understand)
>
> get substituted with the current month day _ hour minute (without
> blanks. two digits each), so I can make those numerous tries if I
> need without having to delete/overwrite files.
>
> I'm not explaining all now, but the relevant for the problem that
have.