[MEncoder-users] a/v desync with mencoder that doesn't happen with mplayer -dumpstream

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 4 14:33:02 CET 2011

On 11/04/2011 07:33 AM, Brion Swanson wrote:

> I apologize if this is been covered but I couldn't discover it in the
> archives - not this particular situation.
>
> I'm trying to back up my purchased movies by ripping them to hdd. Generally
> this has worked for hundreds of my movies but lately there have been a series
> of Marvel movies (Green Lantern, Thor, Captain America) that have a very long
> lag between the audio and video in the ripped copy, often greater than 10
> seconds it seems.

Do you get similar desync when playing the movies directly from DVD using
MPlayer, or does this only manifest when transcoding that way?

Is the size of the desync consistent within any given rip, or does it vary over
time as you let the movie play?

Do you get the same desync with e.g. ffplay?

> The mencoder command I use is essentially:
> mencoder dvd:// -alang en -ovc copy -oac copy -vf
> dsize=2.35,scale=720:480 -of mpeg -o /nas/movies/Title.mpg -nocache
>
> Sometimes (particularly with Disney and sony movies I have to use dvdnav and
> an offset on the title to avoid corrupt sectors, but those aren't typically a
> problem either.
>
> In this case I get a lot of errors like:
> Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec
> failed?4:448]
> For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.

Is this on playback, or when encoding?

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.