[MEncoder-users] a/v desync with mencoder that doesn't happen with mplayer -dumpstream

Brion Swanson deadbeefb5 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 12:33:19 CET 2011

I apologize if this is been covered but I couldn't discover it in the
archives - not this particular situation.

I'm trying to back up my purchased movies by ripping them to hdd.
Generally this has worked for hundreds of my movies but lately there
have been a series of Marvel movies (Green Lantern, Thor, Captain
America) that have a very long lag between the audio and video in the
ripped copy, often greater than 10 seconds it seems.

The mencoder command I use is essentially:
mencoder dvd:// -alang en -ovc copy -oac copy -vf
dsize=2.35,scale=720:480 -of mpeg -o /nas/movies/Title.mpg -nocache

Sometimes (particularly with Disney and sony movies I have to use dvdnav
and an offset on the title to avoid corrupt sectors, but those aren't
typically a problem either.

In this case I get a lot of errors like:
Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec
failed?4:448]
For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.

I have tried the -ni option without any improvement.  I tried -mc 0
-noskip and that dies with a "Too many audio packets in the buffer:
(4096 in 8257536 bytes)."  If I leave off the -noskip it works better
but the audio and video are still off by a second or more.

I also tried mplayer dvd:// -dumpstream and the result of this is a
perfectly synced video and audio but with subtitles burned into the
frame.  I tried to then encode the stream.dump file with my mencoder
command and the result is once again an A/V desync of epic proportions
(10+ seconds).

Does anyone have any clue what's going on here?  Am I missing something
simple?

Thanks,
Brion