[MEncoder-users] a/v desync with mencoder that doesn't happen with mplayer -dumpstream

Brion Swanson deadbeefb5 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 18:37:23 CET 2011

On 11/04/2011 09:33 AM, The Wanderer wrote:
> Do you get similar desync when playing the movies directly from DVD using
> MPlayer, or does this only manifest when transcoding that way?
No, not from playing, only when transcoding.
> Is the size of the desync consistent within any given rip, or does it
> vary over
> time as you let the movie play?
It appears consistent but since it's so far off it's hard to tell for
sure if it's getting farther apart or not.
> Do you get the same desync with e.g. ffplay?
I'm not sure how to use ffplay to play the DVD directly, but if I play
the stream.dump file there is no desync (though there is no desync in
mplayer with that file either).
>> mencoder dvd:// -alang en -ovc copy -oac copy -vf
>> dsize=2.35,scale=720:480 -of mpeg -o /nas/movies/Title.mpg -nocache
>>
>> In this case I get a lot of errors like:
>> Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec
>> failed?4:448]
>> For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
> The mencoder command I use is essentially:
>
> Is this on playback, or when encoding?
Encoding only.

Thanks,
Brion