[MEncoder-users] MPlayer and MEncoder problem with a 2 second clip

L. Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 12 21:16:19 CET 2011

On 12/12/11 1:50 PM, "Reimar Döffinger" <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 11:13:51AM -0600, L. Lee wrote:
>> I'm wondering why I'm not able to play or convert this 2-second clip with
>> MPlayer or MEncoder. It's telecined and interlaced 1920X1080. I used
>> SVN-r34422, compiled a few days ago.
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42718751/2_Second_Clip.mp4
>>
>> Here's the media info (raw video is 60 fps interlaced):
>>
>> http://pastie.org/pastes/3005746
>>
>> This is a typical problem for the video I normally work with, and I'm hoping
>> to find a solution. VLC has no trouble with it, nor does QuickTime Player. I
>> can step through the 30 fps deinterlaced frames and see them correctly
>> through the entire clip with QuickTime Player, but when I try it with
>> MPlayer's "." shortcut, frames are skipped.
>
> Uh, skipping frames is exactly the point of running detelecine?
> Or what exactly are you trying? (And why post the mediainfo output but
> not the MPlayer output?)
> Either way, playing the file directly shows the 2:3 telecine pattern
> when stepping through so nothing is skips, and adding -vf filmdint
> results in perfectly smoothly moving cars in at least those 2 seconds,
> so nothing was dropped there either.

Those aren't the results I'm getting. I'm able to play the clip smoothly,
but not with MPlayer, nor can I get good results with it when transcoding
with MEncoder using methods that often provide good results from similar
sources. Could you tell me your SVN version? Can you think of anything else
related to build or configuration that might provide a clue as to why VLC
works perfectly for me yet MPlayer puts a big skip right in the middle of
the passage? I've isolated the passage because to me it seems revealing. The
same thing happens at the same point if I extract a longer clip that
includes the same passage, and this is not the only place where such a
stutter occurs (they occur frequently, but not in any pattern that I can
discern). Thanks.

Laine