[MEncoder-users] MPlayer and MEncoder problem with a 2 second clip

L. Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 12 22:53:06 CET 2011

On 12/12/11 2:16 PM, "Laine Lee" <llee040 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 12/12/11 1:50 PM, "Reimar Döffinger" <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

>> Uh, skipping frames is exactly the point of running detelecine?
>> Or what exactly are you trying? (And why post the mediainfo output but
>> not the MPlayer output?)
>> Either way, playing the file directly shows the 2:3 telecine pattern
>> when stepping through so nothing is skips, and adding -vf filmdint
>> results in perfectly smoothly moving cars in at least those 2 seconds,
>> so nothing was dropped there either.
>
> Those aren't the results I'm getting. I'm able to play the clip smoothly,
> but not with MPlayer, nor can I get good results with it when transcoding
> with MEncoder using methods that often provide good results from similar
> sources. Could you tell me your SVN version? Can you think of anything else
> related to build or configuration that might provide a clue as to why VLC
> works perfectly for me yet MPlayer puts a big skip right in the middle of
> the passage? I've isolated the passage because to me it seems revealing. The
> same thing happens at the same point if I extract a longer clip that
> includes the same passage, and this is not the only place where such a
> stutter occurs (they occur frequently, but not in any pattern that I can
> discern). Thanks.
>
> Laine

On a hunch, I started looking around the internet for info related to some
of my configuration details, and I came across a suggestion to use
mplayer-devel. I wasn't sure exactly what that meant, but I made the guess
that I might be able to substitute "mplayer-devel" for "mplayer" in the svn
checkout routine. After compiling and installing the current SVN for
mplayer-devel (r34441) the problem with skipped frames leading to jerky
playback went away.

Once again, posting to this list led to finding a solution. Nobody can ask
for more than that. Thanks.

Laine Lee