[MEncoder-users] Progressive DVD duplicate frame , skipping frame error

Jason Cumiskey jason.cumiskey at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 22:26:27 CET 2011

> Are you saying that it continued to print that it was skipping frames
> even with the -noskip option? Do we need the -mc 0 option for it to
> actually not skip frames.

Yes, it still skipped frames even with the -noskip option.  Adding both
-noskip -mc 0 gets rid of both duplicate frames and skipped frames but
then I get too many video packets in buffer, incomplete frame, frame
sync errors.

> One other thing to try which probably won't make a difference is to
> force the mpeg12 decoder with -vc mpeg12 if that's not the decoder
> that mencoder is using. x264 encoding uses ffmeg's decoder which may
> work differently (better or worse) than the mpeg12 decoder. At least
> you'll get a reassuring "switching frame rate" message that will show
> that the input is indeed 24000/1001 progressive. If you don't get this
> message, then that might explain some problems you're having.

I do get that message woth normal ffmpeg decoder at beginning:
demux_mpg: 24000/1001fps progressive NTSC content detected, switching
framerate.

Here is the entire command I am issuing:

mencoder -nosub -dvd-device /dev/dvd dvd://1 -ofps 24000/1001 -noskip
-mc 0 -alang eng -aid 128 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128:vol=5 -vf
crop=720:480:0:0,harddup -ovc x264 -x264encopts
crf=19:subq=6:partitions=all:8x8dct:me=umh:frameref=6:bframes=3:b_pyramid=normal:weight_b:threads=auto
-o output.h264