[MEncoder-users] Edit Decision List - exact frame cut problem.

Bill Crockett wsc4 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Dec 10 04:10:13 CET 2011

On 12/09/2011 12:48 AM, Gabri Nurtinaz Shally wrote:
>  to precisely cut the desired portion, don't use -ovc copy

Oh!  That is disappointing.  I didn't want to spend too much time on
re-encoding these videos and experiment with complex options.  -ovc copy
is the fastest way with no quality loss. Anyway, I'll try -ovc with a
codec just to see how good the cuts are.

On 12/09/2011 13:23 AM, Brion Swanson wrote:
>  If your cut list is only some portion of the beginning of the film,
>  you can simply seek in some number of seconds instead and still use
>  -ovc copy. Use -ss NUM_SECONDS to seek in from the start.

No, these videos are full of ads.  I did try -ss to cut out the
commercial before the film starts, but this played havoc with the A/V
sync with the first part of the video before the first commercial.  I
had the EDL starting at that commercial.  The EDL has to start from the
beginning and before the film starts.

Also, I had a lot of A/V sync issues before posting on this list.  even
with -noskip -mc 0 the audio would be 1.2 seconds out with this:

mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -noskip -mc 0 -of mpeg -mpegopts /
format=mpeg2:muxrate=9088:interleaving2:tsaf videoTS.mpg -o videoPS.mpg

It encodes to an MPEG-PS.  Made it easier to work with the EDL records
and PTS which start from 0.  Unfortunately, I could not get the A/V sync
right with an EDL using this video.