[MEncoder-users] Edit Decision List - exact frame cut problem.

Brion Swanson deadbeefb5 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 05:36:07 CET 2011

On 12/09/2011 10:10 PM, Bill Crockett wrote:
> On 12/09/2011 12:48 AM, Gabri Nurtinaz Shally wrote:
>>  to precisely cut the desired portion, don't use -ovc copy
>
> Oh!  That is disappointing.  I didn't want to spend too much time on
> re-encoding these videos and experiment with complex options.  -ovc
> copy is the fastest way with no quality loss. Anyway, I'll try -ovc
> with a codec just to see how good the cuts are.
>
> On 12/09/2011 13:23 AM, Brion Swanson wrote:
>>  If your cut list is only some portion of the beginning of the film,
>>  you can simply seek in some number of seconds instead and still use
>>  -ovc copy. Use -ss NUM_SECONDS to seek in from the start.
>
> No, these videos are full of ads.  I did try -ss to cut out the
> commercial before the film starts, but this played havoc with the A/V
> sync with the first part of the video before the first commercial.  I
> had the EDL starting at that commercial.  The EDL has to start from
> the beginning and before the film starts.
>
> Also, I had a lot of A/V sync issues before posting on this list.
> even with -noskip -mc 0 the audio would be 1.2 seconds out with this:
>
> mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -noskip -mc 0 -of mpeg -mpegopts /
> format=mpeg2:muxrate=9088:interleaving2:tsaf videoTS.mpg -o videoPS.mpg
>
> It encodes to an MPEG-PS.  Made it easier to work with the EDL records
> and PTS which start from 0.  Unfortunately, I could not get the A/V
> sync right with an EDL using this video.
Have you tried specifying the output FPS?  For example, I was having
problems ripping Green Lantern and other movies with A/V sync issues but
using a combination of -mc 0 and -ofps 24000/1001 and --audio-delay 1.2
(for example) I got the sound synced up just fine.

Here's another example of using -ofps to ensure my rip of a title from
The Muppet Show is the correct FPS (note I'm not doing ovc copy here
because I want to deinterlace the video):

mencoder dvd://9 -alang en -forcedsubsonly -ovc lavc -oac copy -lavcopts
acodec=ac3:vcodec=mpeg2video:vhq:autoaspect:vbitrate=4800 -of mpeg -o
/nas/movies/The_Muppets_with_Weezer_Gone_Fishing.mpg -nocache -vf yadif
-mc 0 -ofps 30000/1001

One last example of ripping X-Men: First Class using -ovc copy and -ofps:

mencoder dvd://01 -alang en -forcedsubsonly -ovc copy -oac copy -of mpeg
-o /nas/movies/more_movies/X-Men:_First_Class.mpg -nocache -ofps 24000/1001

If I had wanted to skip some number of seconds in I would have used -ss
SECONDS and I wouldn't have any A/V issues -- I do it frequently.

Hope you can get it working with -ovc copy for the sake of speed.

Brion