[MEncoder-users] encoding to mpg

Lobster lobo at lobs.sytes.net
Tue Oct 12 23:27:24 CEST 2010

  On 13/10/2010 10:02 a.m., Olive wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My TV is able to read some *.mpg file from a usb key/hard disk. I would
> like to use mencoder to convert some videos to this format. I am lost
> in the numerous options. Is there a simple way to convert a video to
> mpg with the same feature (quality, resolution). Many solutions I have
> seen ask to specify the sample rate, resolution, etc... What I would
> like is just preserving the characteristic of the original video,
> whatever they are and to convert to a standard mpg format that could be
> read by my TV (I do not know exactly what my TV accept, this is not
> mentioned in the doc, but maybe there exists a standard format that can
> be played everywhere).

You are being quite ambiguous with what you want.
mpg is a container format, and can hold various video codecs and audio
codecs,
you need to know what codecs your TV will support in order to give you
any chance
at making a file the TV will play.

You will always need to specify a sample/bit rate and resolution that
the TV will support
playback of. There is not a single "one stop shop" command line to
convert your videos
and depending on the source video format you likely wont keep all the
characteristics of
the source video as you want.

If you tell us the make and model of TV we may be able to tell you what
it might support
and give an example command line.