[MEncoder-users] encoding to mpg

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Oct 13 08:15:41 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:33:27PM +0200, Olive wrote:
> I am on linux and I had already tried mpeg. However I have seen a
> significant decrease of quality in the converted videos (I have used it
> without options: ffmpeg -i <input-file> outfile.mpg). This is not due
> to my TV since we see the decrease also by player both the original and
> the converted file with mplayer (or xine) on the PC.

-sameq or -q 2 for ffmpeg, -lavcopts vqscale=2 for mencoder.
Note that 2 produces best quality but might produce insanely larger
files. Choose a higher value in that case (doubling the value results
in about half the bitrate).
If the TV supports MPEG-4 that will give better quality/smaller
file sizes as well.