[MEncoder-users] problem hardcoding subtitles with OS X

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 30 02:49:19 CEST 2010

Laine Lee wrote:
> On 3/28/10 12:49 PM, "Panichi Massimiliano" <max.panichi at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I downloaded mplayer-export-2010-03-21 and compiled on OSX Leopard
>> (Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0)
>>
>> When I try to use this command to hardcode subtitles in the output video
>>
>> mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -sub input.srt -o output.avi input.avi
>>
>> I can't view the subtitles in the output video.
>>
>> The same command works on Linux.
>>
>> The mplayer command works with subtitles.
>>
>> Anyone can help me ?
>>

> I'll bet it's a fontconfig requirement that's getting in your way. You'll
> probably need more details than I can readily provide, but if you'll install
> some open source type and font utilities with a package manager such as Fink
> or MacPorts (unless you have more experience with this sort of thing than I
> - most experienced open source enthusiasts frown on using those types of
> solutions, and that's an understatement), you may have better success.
>
> Laine Lee
I used MacPorts to compile/install mencoder and mplayer with good
results, after trying and failing at getting all of the various packages
required by mencoder to successfully compile on my system. So, at least
in my case, MacPorts was a workable, and successful solution.

The subtitle stuff also works correctly. In all cases where I can't get
subtitles to work correctly, I've found its because the input file was
missing time stamps, or a proper index, which causes the subtitles to
not work right with mencoder. Usually simply copying the streams into an
intermediate .avi file container is enough to make the subtitle options
work.