[MEncoder-users] problem hardcoding subtitles with OS X

Laine Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 30 19:08:33 CEST 2010

On 3/29/10 7:49 PM, "James Hastings-Trew" <jimht at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I used MacPorts to compile/install mencoder and mplayer with good
> results, after trying and failing at getting all of the various packages
> required by mencoder to successfully compile on my system. So, at least
> in my case, MacPorts was a workable, and successful solution.
>
> The subtitle stuff also works correctly. In all cases where I can't get
> subtitles to work correctly, I've found its because the input file was
> missing time stamps, or a proper index, which causes the subtitles to
> not work right with mencoder. Usually simply copying the streams into an
> intermediate .avi file container is enough to make the subtitle options
> work.

I can't remember whether I've already referenced this or not, but I can use
the steps posted on my web site at

http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/HDTV_to_DVD.html

to build on Leopard or Snow Leopard without any additional installations, as
long as they're done in the right order. This gets you x264 support which I
tend to consider to be the backbone of the whole mplayer/mencoder operation.
I had to refurbish a Leopard installation just today, and the only thing
required that was not included in those steps was to empty out
/usr/local/lib first. What I did was to temporarily move the contents of
that directory aside, then after installation, overlay the new on the old,
then put the resulting accretion back. I'm not saying this to help with
subtitles, because I don't have much experience with them, but instead to
help with basic system configuration. I use Fink to manage my open source
for things besides those mentioned on the page linked above, and so far
haven't had to deal with serious conflicts.

Laine Lee