[MEncoder-users] Trying to fully understand de-interlacing.

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 2 17:40:45 CEST 2010

  On 10-07-02 9:02 AM, Peter wrote:
> James Hastings-Trew wrote:
>>
>> Seems to be a problem with your source file, but the FPS is being
>> reported wrong by mplayer and mencoder. VLC shows (and displays the
>> file) at it's correct frame rate. In your command line you have "-fps
>> 30000/1001" but the frame rate is actually 60000/1001.
>
> Yes, I seem to remember seeing a warning about the file being 'wrong'.
> It's unfortunate that Field and Frame start with the same letter,
> because it opens the possibility for confusion over what "FPS" stands
> for in interlaced content. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if
> the good folks at Sony got it wrong, because all they really care
> about is that it works properly with their own Picture Motion Browser
> software.
>
> It's my understanding that the stream should be 30000/1001 frames per
> second, and 60000/1001 fields per second. You have the file exactly as
> it came out of the camera.
>
> Thank you for your interest, by the way.

Hmm. VLC reports the framerate at 59.94006 and when it plays back the
file, both the video and audio end at the same moment. When I play it
back in VLC, I get a 5 second clip.

mplayer reports the framerate as 29.970030. When I play it back with
mplayer, the sound stops at 5 seconds, and the video stops at 10 seconds.

using mplayer 20100629113956.m2ts -fps 60000/1001 has no effect
whatsoever - the frame rate is still reported incorrectly, and the video
playback is identical. That's not right, is it?

Ahhh. mplayer 20100629113956.m2ts -fps 60000/1001 -demuxer lavf makes it
play back correctly.

Alright. Anyway....

this produced good results (deinterlacing-wise) for me:

mencoder -o deint1.avi -oac pcm -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=ffvhuff
20100629113956.m2ts -demuxer lavf -vf yadif