[MEncoder-users] Trying to fully understand de-interlacing.

Peter pscientist at inbox.com
Fri Jul 2 17:02:46 CEST 2010

James Hastings-Trew wrote:

> Seems to be a problem with your source file, but the FPS is being
> reported wrong by mplayer and mencoder. VLC shows (and displays the
> file) at it's correct frame rate. In your command line you have "-fps
> 30000/1001" but the frame rate is actually 60000/1001.

Yes, I seem to remember seeing a warning about the file being 'wrong'. It's
unfortunate that Field and Frame start with the same letter, because it opens
the possibility for confusion over what "FPS" stands for in interlaced content.
Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the good folks at Sony got it wrong,
because all they really care about is that it works properly with their own
Picture Motion Browser software.

It's my understanding that the stream should be 30000/1001 frames per second,
and 60000/1001 fields per second. You have the file exactly as it came out of
the camera.

Thank you for your interest, by the way.

--
Peter