[MEncoder-users] Trying to fully understand de-interlacing.

Goga777 goga777 at bk.ru
Fri Jul 2 06:07:45 CEST 2010

> <http://www.hexbug.com/original> walking across a piece of paper with printing
> on it. I was surprised that the test I did without mcdeint was better, and was
> also much faster. It was not the result I expected.

good to know this fact :)

> (the original MTS transport stream file as recorded by the HX5 camera)

with which resolution ?

> F. yadif=1:0
> G. yadif=3:0,mcdeint=2:1:10
> H. yadif=3:0,mcdeint=3:1:10

why do you use zero (yadif=x:0) ? According man this option was deprecated

 yadif=[mode[:field_dominance]]
              Yet another deinterlacing filter
                 <mode>
                      0: Output 1 frame for each frame.
                      1: Output 1 frame for each field.
                      2: Like 0 but skips spatial interlacing check.
                      3: Like 1 but skips spatial interlacing check.
                 <field_dominance> (DEPRECATED)
                      Operates like tfields.
                      NOTE:  This  option will possibly be removed in a future
                      version.  Use -field-dominance instead.

did you try yadif=1 and yadif=3 ?  yadif=0 and yadif=2 ?

Goga