[MEncoder-users] Trying to fully understand de-interlacing.

Peter pscientist at inbox.com
Thu Jul 1 22:47:51 CEST 2010

Goga777 wrote:

>> I think I want to use mcdeint. I will try various yadif/mcdeint suggestions from
>> this list and google searches, to see what seems best.
>
> and after finishing of your tests send please here your results

Yes, sure.

I made a test video which I thought would be hard for deinterlacing, and would
expose any problems. It's very short; it is a video of a hexbug
<http://www.hexbug.com/original> walking across a piece of paper with printing
on it. I was surprised that the test I did without mcdeint was better, and was
also much faster. It was not the result I expected.

I think two things have happened here. The test I made allowed the mcdeint
algorithm to become confused; one line moved over looked like a different
line... so some of the letters have ghosts in them.

But also, even though I think the images are really very good from my camera,
realistically, the focus is not so perfect that the interlaced data is
important, so we can't really tell if it's thrown away.

I will try to attach a torrent which will allow people to fetch the files if
they wish. This is what I have:

(the original MTS transport stream file as recorded by the HX5 camera)
F. yadif=1:0
G. yadif=3:0,mcdeint=2:1:10
H. yadif=3:0,mcdeint=3:1:10

I also experimented with discarding data to make a much smaller file, I think
the results are very good, although this was not my intention. I include it out
of interest. I threw away the interlacing, half the resolution and half the
field rate.

I. bitrate=1600
K. bitrate=800

index.txt includes the exact commands I used. The files will probably only be
available from 2010-07-01 to 2010-07-07, and only while my computer is switched
on, LOL!

Oh, one last thing; my computer, even though it's a quad-core fast-ish thing,
was unable to play the files F, G, and H! The only way I could do it, was to use
mplayer, and tell it to play in slow motion, e.g.

mplayer -speed .5 f.avi

and I have to imagine what it will be like when computers get faster.

--
Peter

Share photos & screenshots in seconds...
TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if1