[MEncoder-users] Trying to fully understand de-interlacing.

Peter pscientist at inbox.com
Fri Jul 2 08:05:22 CEST 2010

Goga777 wrote:
>> (the original MTS transport stream file as recorded by the HX5 camera)
>
> with which resolution ?

The highest - 1920x1080/60i

>> F. yadif=1:0
>> G. yadif=3:0,mcdeint=2:1:10
>> H. yadif=3:0,mcdeint=3:1:10
>
> why do you use zero (yadif=x:0) ? According man this option was deprecated

I didn't see that 'deprecated'. I copied suggested command lines from google
searches: however, I most commonly saw yadif=3:1,... but I quickly found that my
fields were reversed, I know that jiggle very well now! I checked the man page,
and switched to yadif=3:0,... and the jiggle was fixed.

> did you try yadif=1 and yadif=3 ?  yadif=0 and yadif=2 ?

Well I tried 1 and 3 for the high resolution. I did briefly try 0 for the lower
resolution test, but then I figured that it was putting out data that I was then
going to discard later with the 'scale' filter. I reasoned that using the
'tfields=0' filter was more sensible because it was not creating the data in the
first place, so it should be faster.

I chose the tests that I thought had a chance of being efficient... but if you
think it's interesting, I could do a full matrix of tests, even the insane ones!

Only one person downloaded the files so far, I'd be interested to know if this
person thought it was a good test for deinterlacing, because I 'designed' it to
be that.

--
Peter