[MEncoder-users] Mencoder x264encopts options

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Jan 23 15:45:16 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 03:27:47PM +0100, Grozdan wrote:
> As for porting filters, there are quite a lot of filters in mplayer so
> I think a clean rewrite of mencoder will be easier (mencoder isn't
> that big when you look at its code) but no one is interested in doing
> this. ffmpeg has had a filter API for quite some time now, yet it only
> has a few useless filters (with exception of deinterlacing). I always
> wondered how it could be possible for such an encoder like ffmpeg,
> which offers so much wrt codecs/encoding and is used by so many people
> (even by major companies), that it totally lacks virtually any decent
> video filters. If I was maintainer of ffmpeg, I would be in total
> shame but that's just me

Below is my personal view of this, I make no claims of objectivity
or absolute correctness.
FFmpeg first of all still is a codec library, as much as it has grown.
And the main maintainer of FFmpeg suggest using MPlayer's filter
systems and filters and clean them up and integrate them, but nobody
wanted to do that, preferring to design their own.
This again caused Michael to demand a design that is _better_ than
MPlayer's in basically every aspect, since a rewrite that doesn't
improve anything is a rather idiotic thing to do.
The next step would be to write a filter for libavformat that can
use directly MPlayer's filters - however I am not aware of anyone
working on that, and in the worst case here again everyone caring
about filters will prefer to invent their own instead.
I guess anyone who is a developer or can find and pay one has a
chance to get more filters to FFmpeg, and Michael may actually
be happy enough about it to forget to review quite as thoroughly
as usual :-)