[MEncoder-users] Mencoder x264encopts options

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 15:27:47 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 3:10 PM, James Hastings-Trew <jimht at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Christian Ebert wrote:
>>
>> * Alexander Bokovikov on Saturday, January 23, 2010 at 17:48:26 +0500

>>> Why not to use FFMPEG instead?
>>>

>> mencoder offers a lot more video filters.
>>

> For me, that's always the sticking point. Some things in mencoder are
> admittedly broken, and when up against a program that involves one of it's
> broken areas, the response is often to "use ffmpeg instead". But, mencoder's
> shining features really are the video filters and scaling filters. Maybe a
> dumb question - would it be easier to port mencoder's filtering and scaling
> to ffmpeg than to fix mencoder broken features?

++

filters are one of the main reason why I stick to mencoder, despite it
being broken. Also, the fact that ffmpeg has such an ugly syntax in
the form of -option1 param1 +option2 param2 -option3 compared to
mencoder's simple option1:option2:option3 syntax, is another reason
too why I prefer it over ffmpeg.

As for porting filters, there are quite a lot of filters in mplayer so
I think a clean rewrite of mencoder will be easier (mencoder isn't
that big when you look at its code) but no one is interested in doing
this. ffmpeg has had a filter API for quite some time now, yet it only
has a few useless filters (with exception of deinterlacing). I always
wondered how it could be possible for such an encoder like ffmpeg,
which offers so much wrt codecs/encoding and is used by so many people
(even by major companies), that it totally lacks virtually any decent
video filters. If I was maintainer of ffmpeg, I would be in total
shame but that's just me