[MEncoder-users] Dolby downmix

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org
Wed Dec 29 01:19:27 CET 2010

I uploaded sample sample_HDPVR_60-24fps_conversion_av_glitch.M2TS.
> Please fix your quoting!
> I truly thought this paragraph was written by me when I read the following
> paragraph, but it simply made no sense...
>
> Regarding the sample:
> I am not going to play around with the inverse telecine filters, but if they all
> fail to alternately drop one and two frames, they should really be fixed!
> (The sample is progressive, showing frames twice and three times alternately,
> except for the cut after 15 seconds where the pattern is completely broken.)
>
> I can reproduce the A/V sync issues with ffmpeg (they are even worse with
> mplayer -demuxer lavf, so it seems not to be an encoding issue, but a demuxing
> problem), so thank you for the sample!
>
> Could you explain again how it was produced? I mean is this the original output
> from the HDPVR (just cut with dd), or is it "pre-processed" (perhaps to cut out
Sorry Eugen,

I sent the previous email via Gmail instead of Thunderbird and it is a
bit harder to navigate so sorry for the confusion.

The file I sent is pretty much vanilla how it comes out of the box. I
used Smart Cutter (fame-ring) to cut off the beginnning and the end but
nothing in the middle. (Symptoms are identical if I don't touch the file
at all but you would have gotten a huge file). The glitches come
straight from the box. You may have seen that they are barely
noticeable, this one seems to be on a scene change and therefore is
practically imperceptible. I don't know what might be causing them; I am
just working around them.  I noticed that when I use Smart Cutter to cut
out commercials or the like a/v sync really suffers and don't do this at
all anymore. I am trying to use mencoder/mplayer with my GUI to do the
cutting altogether but I haven't found a way to do this frame-accurate.
When you look up Smart Cutter you will see that they say they do things
to keep timing info proper (and they do) and they change the time base
to 0 (which is also good for mencoder or it might get a bit confused).
But, as I said, same symptom if not touched at all.

I have tried commercial cutting on these files with Smart Cutter but
that wreaked havoc on the a/v sync so I don't do it at all.

/re