[MEncoder-users] Dolby downmix

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Dec 29 00:23:33 CET 2010

Rolf Ernst <rolf.ernst <at> silverlightning.org> writes:

> On 12/28/2010 4:18 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Rolf Ernst<rolf.ernst<at>  silverlightning.org>  writes:
> >
> >> Now I take the 5.1 6 channel signal and want to downmix to two channel
> >> surround which preserves at least some of the surround information

> > And as I tried to explain in my first mail in this thread I don't think this
> > works with MPlayer (I didn't read the sources, but the manual clearly
> > denies it.)
>
> I understand that mencoder doesn't do it. This was the answer to the
> very first email I had sent. However, you mentioned that ffmpeg might be
> able to do it?

No, I originally meant that it is even "easier" (counting characters) to
truncate the channels using ffmpeg (but that was probably wrong because I
suspect now that mencoder down-mixes to stereo by default).

> >> As for the interlacing
>
> My last email also stated that my source material is >>>not<<<
> interlaced but I am temporarily interlacing it via tinterlace=4 to be
> able to perform a filmdint.

I wonder why filmdint doesn't work without tinterlace - at least the manual
claims it does work for every pattern.

However, as said living in PAL-country I don't really care about inverse
telecine, I am just trying to explain you should care and tell the people
working on avfilter that it is useful (and possibly explain why filmdint is
better than pullup or vice-versa).
(MEncoder isn't unmaintained because I want that - on the contrary - but I tell
you it's unmaintained because that is very unlikely to change.)

Please try to fix your quoting and leave empty lines, Carl Eugen