[MEncoder-users] Limiting peak bitrate with CRF - vbv_maxrate?

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 05:48:13 CEST 2010

On 4/5/2010 9:12 AM, Kasper Bonne wrote:
> If your input video is blocky or has other visual artifacts it could
> be that the encoder is trying to preserve the "quality" of those
> artifacts, and that is why you're seeing such high bitrate spikes.

Exactly.
> Try messing around with some filters (-vf). Maybe a deblocking or
> lowpass filter will help.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look at pp=ha/va et al (unless there's a better
filter I overlooked), but I would really like to /guarantee/ the BR
never peaks above 21Mbps. Since I can't really gain any quality by going
over 25Mbps, I would really like to keep the stream compliant with
High at L4.0.