[MEncoder-users] Limiting peak bitrate with CRF - vbv_maxrate?

Kasper Bonne kbonne at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 16:12:15 CEST 2010

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 06:37, Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I get a peak BR of 57.4Mbps, which is quite a bit higher than the
> 20-21Mbps peak in the original. Certain parts require a very high BR to
> get decent quality, but since the quality is already lost in the
> original, there's no point in trying to preserve it.

If your input video is blocky or has other visual artifacts it could
be that the encoder is trying to preserve the "quality" of those
artifacts, and that is why you're seeing such high bitrate spikes.

Try messing around with some filters (-vf). Maybe a deblocking or
lowpass filter will help.

/Kasper