[MEncoder-users] Limiting peak bitrate with CRF - vbv_maxrate?

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 11:46:11 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 5:48 AM, Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/5/2010 9:12 AM, Kasper Bonne wrote:
>> If your input video is blocky or has other visual artifacts it could
>> be that the encoder is trying to preserve the "quality" of those
>> artifacts, and that is why you're seeing such high bitrate spikes.
>>
> Exactly.
>> Try messing around with some filters (-vf). Maybe a deblocking or
>> lowpass filter will help.
> Thanks for the tip. I'll look at pp=ha/va et al (unless there's a better
> filter I overlooked), but I would really like to /guarantee/ the BR
> never peaks above 21Mbps. Since I can't really gain any quality by going
> over 25Mbps, I would really like to keep the stream compliant with
> High at L4.0.

bitrate peaks are not disallowed in BR. The maxrate/bufsize is there
to tell the encoder to restrict the average bitrate of a certain
number of frames, but bursts are allowed for short periods of time in
any profile/level

In theory, vbv-maxrate is a rate at which a decoder can read from a
medium and vbv-bufsize is the amount of memory it has available to
pre-buffer a stream

also, if you're going to deblock, stay away from pp=ha/va as they are
terrible at that. Better use -vf spp (or fspp, pp7)